Meryl Rodrigues presented an in-firm seminar for our lawyers and students this morning on Pleadings. Meryl addressed several issues to consider when preparing a statement of defence, including:
- Examining whether the client was properly named;
- Checking if the claim was issued in time;
- Assessing whether the court has jurisdiction;
- Seeing if other entities need to be added to the lawsuit;
- Considering whether the action was commenced in the proper venue;
- Examining whether a demand for particulars or a motion to strike is necessary; and
- Determining which facts to plead in the defence.
Meryl has consolidated these issues into a handy checklist.