At this morning’s muffin meeting, we discussed file opening procedures as part of the Rogers Partners Litigation Strategy Series. Dana Eichler led this seminar.
Dana addressed important issues for handling new files from the defence perspective, including:
- Immediately diarizing limitation periods
- Confirming instructions on who to defend
- Checking on whether our client was properly named and served
- Confirming the insurance policy limits and determining whether the insured needs to be advised of an over-the-limits claim
- Examining issues of jurisdiction and venue
- Complying with clients’ litigation reporting requirements
Our quality control procedures include using file opening checklists to ensure that key issues are examined at the outset of a file.